Anxiety disorders are a group of mental health conditions that share similar features, including excessive fear and worry as well as thoughts and behaviors that cause ongoing distress. Anxiety disorders are different from occasional feelings of worry because they often involve symptoms that are frequent, long-lasting, and difficult to control.
Coachella Valley Behavioral Health in Indio, California, is a leading choice for anxiety disorder treatment for adults age 18 and older. We’re proud to offer a safe, nurturing environment and an expert staff that can help adults who have anxiety disorders find long-term healing.
Understanding Anxiety Disorders
An anxiety disorder may make it difficult for someone to live a fulfilling life, form meaningful relationships, and achieve their personal goals. Anxiety disorder symptoms can be particularly challenging because they often lead people to avoid certain objects or situations that provoke anxiety, which can limit life opportunities significantly.
There are several different anxiety disorders with their own unique symptoms and diagnostic criteria. Common anxiety disorders and their symptoms include:
- Specific phobia: A person who has specific phobia may exhibit intense fear or anxiety in relation to a specific object or situation, such as flying, heights, or the sight of blood. The person may try to avoid that object or situation, or they may endure it while feeling deep distress.
- Social anxiety disorder: When someone is struggling with social anxiety disorder, they can experience debilitating symptoms of anxiety in response to certain social situations. These situations often involve interactions in which the person believes that they may be scrutinized or judged, including situations in which they might suffer embarrassment or cause offense to others.
- Panic disorder: Panic disorder involves frequent panic attacks, which are sudden, overpowering episodes consisting of intense fear or distress. Panic attacks may involve physical symptoms of anxiety, including a pounding heart, chest pain, and shortness of breath. For people who are struggling with panic disorder, panic attacks can lead to ongoing worry and behavior changes that negatively affect daily life.
- Generalized anxiety disorder: Generalized anxiety disorder is characterized by general and persistent feelings of worry and apprehension about various things. Generalized anxiety disorder symptoms are often difficult to control and can involve physical and cognitive symptoms, like muscle tension and concentration problems.
Signs & Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety disorder symptoms, including symptoms related to fear, worry, and avoidance, often cause notable distress and make it difficult for people to function in different areas of their lives. Many anxiety disorders involve symptoms that persist for six months or more. The ongoing challenges of living with an anxiety disorder can cause significant harm to a person’s well-being and quality of life.
Although each anxiety disorder has specific symptoms, it can be helpful to recognize the common signs and symptoms of anxiety so that you can seek help for yourself or a loved one who may be suffering. Signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders can include:
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing or shortness of breath
- Feeling flushed
- Feeling restless, nervous, or uneasy
- Feeling irritable
- Struggling to control anxious thoughts
- Having difficulty sleeping
- Intense fear or distress related to a specific object or situation
- Problems concentrating or making decisions
- An intense sense of dread or impending danger
- Avoiding places, things, or situations that cause anxiety
- Physical symptoms, including headaches, stomach problems, and muscle pain
If you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety that are affecting your everyday life, it may be time to seek professional support. At the right anxiety disorder treatment center, you can receive personalized care to help you manage the symptoms you’ve been struggling with and achieve a healthier, happier life. At Coachella Valley Behavioral Health, we provide inpatient anxiety disorder treatment using a holistic approach that honors the needs of the whole person.
Anxiety Disorder Statistics
The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that anxiety disorders are the most common mental health disorders worldwide, and in 2019, they affected about 301 million people. WHO also reports that:
- Women suffer from anxiety disorders at higher rates than men.
- Although there are many effective approaches for treating anxiety disorders, only about 1 in 4 people who have an anxiety disorder receive anxiety treatment. According to WHO, barriers to getting treatment can include social stigma, lack of quality mental healthcare services, and lack of awareness about the potential benefits of treatment.
Additionally, based on data from a 2022 national survey, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that about 12.5% of U.S. adults suffer from regular feelings of worry, nervousness, or anxiety.
Effects of Anxiety Disorders
If you are struggling with an anxiety disorder and don’t receive the support you need, you can experience a variety of additional challenges. It’s also important to note that intervening early to treat an anxiety disorder can lead to better treatment outcomes. The harmful effects of untreated anxiety disorders can include:
- Reduced quality of life
- Relationship problems
- Chronic pain
- Other physical health concerns
- Substance abuse
- Withdrawal from loved ones and friends
- Problems with school or work performance
- Difficulty reaching social or professional goals
- Difficulties performing caregiving duties
- Onset or worsening of co-occurring mental health disorders
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviors
If you’re unsure whether acute anxiety treatment is right for you, you can receive a comprehensive assessment and a recommendation for the right level of care at a qualified treatment place like Coachella Valley Behavioral Health. Getting care that fits your needs can be a steppingstone to a fuller and more rewarding life.
Learn About Anxiety Disorder Treatment
Getting care at an anxiety disorder treatment center can transform your life for the better, giving you tools and resources that can help you begin to thrive. The specific benefits of anxiety treatment can include:
- Learning healthy ways to cope with feelings and thoughts related to anxiety
- Gaining deeper knowledge about the anxiety disorder you may have and how to manage its symptoms
- Learning effective ways to adjust your thoughts and behaviors to produce healthier outcomes in your life
- Playing a collaborative role in the treatment process and taking ownership of your therapeutic journey
- Receiving compassionate support from qualified professionals
- Gaining the support of a therapeutic community during group therapy
- Improving the quality of your relationships and support systems during family therapy
At Coachella Valley Behavioral Health, we offer premier care for adults at the acute inpatient level. Inpatient behavioral healthcare is ideal for those who are experiencing severe anxiety symptoms and need focused time away from home to begin the healing process. At our anxiety treatment center in Indio, California, you can work with our skilled and caring staff, who will offer the highest levels of support along with the most current and research-backed therapies that can meet your needs.
Our Anxiety Disorder Treatment Services in Indio, California
Everyone’s anxiety disorder treatment journey looks different depending on their unique needs, goals, and strengths. At our anxiety treatment place, we make sure that each patient participates in a comprehensive assessment before beginning care with us. This assessment is designed to help us understand your needs and create your personalized care plan. We also provide thorough aftercare planning starting at admission so that you can move to the next phase of your healing journey with ease.
At Coachella Valley Behavioral Health, your personalized treatment plan for anxiety may include:
- Daily group therapy with nurses, therapists, and other professionals
- Family therapy provided by a licensed clinical social worker, licensed clinical professional counselor, or licensed marriage and family therapist
- Basic medical services provided by the doctors, nurse practitioners, and other nursing staff members who deliver care at our facility
- Medication management services involving the support of a psychiatrist and other qualified professionals who prescribe, monitor, and adjust medications as needed
- Daily experiential therapies, including recreation, art, music, and yoga
At Coachella Valley Behavioral Health, we incorporate a variety of proven treatment modalities into the care we provide. Our modalities can include cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and motivational interviewing, which are all evidence-based therapies. We may also include solution-focused therapy if this is appropriate for your needs.
Group therapy is often a focus of care, and we provide process, psychoeducational, recreational, and trauma-focused groups at our anxiety treatment center. During group therapy, patients who are struggling with anxiety can discuss and learn about topics that may be helpful for them, including coping skills, relationship skills, and managing thoughts and feelings.
At our inpatient anxiety disorder treatment center in Indio, we celebrate the courage it takes to seek care and embark on the healing process. We strive to provide a judgment-free environment that nurtures positive change and better health for patients.
Our treatment center in the Coachella Valley, near Joshua Tree National Park, is a state-of-the-art facility featuring safe, high-quality services and amenities for patients. We know that choosing a place to receive anxiety treatment is a big decision, and we recognize the importance of providing clinically excellent services and support for those in need.
This content was written on behalf of and reviewed by the clinical staff at Coachella Valley Behavioral Health.